Banner

Banner

Monday, August 25, 2014

Lincoln

Lincoln has great memories for me. I mean the New Zealand Lincoln, ~20kms southwest of Christchurch.
My Dad used to work with a great man called Jack Rogers. His eldest son was Alan, a few months younger than me. Alan and I first met when we were ~3 years old!! They moved from the family farm at Irwell to Lincoln when I was ~7-8 years old from memory. We became great mates - and still are today. Many a weekend I would ride my bike out to Lincoln to stay for the weekend or longer during the holidays. It used to take be a few hours on my single geared old bike - or so it seemed.
When I left High School I wanted to become a National Park ranger, but my Mum felt I should go to university. I had it all sussed but it wasn't to be. Then I decided to do VSA for a year, but that was thwarted by my school Principal who threatened to not award me Higher School Certificate (showing my age now) if I left school early (had to leave on VSA a few weeks before school ended). So what to do? My big brother had just graduated in veterinary science, my big sister was a nurse - so I decided to do my medical intermediate with a view to do either medicine or veterinary work. Professor Crowther called me in to his office at Canterbury University and recommended, in light of my interest in veterinary science, that I do my intermediate year at Lincoln College (now Lincoln University). My big brother even lent me his brand new grey VW beetle to drive out to Lincoln to register (I'd only got my driving licence a week or so before). My days at Lincoln College were not particularly remarkable - but I did succeed at winter tournament in the College football (soccer) team, billiards team, and drinking team!!

The current administration building
I've always loved the town of Lincoln - Chris loves it too. It is a place we have considered moving to for a number of years. However, since the earthquakes a few years ago, there has been a mass exodus out of the city, both north and south. Lincoln is now a scene of huge development with many new subdivisions being built - literally 1000's of new homes. What is this doing to this lovely little town in the country? This does bother me.

However, undaunted, we drove out there last Sunday for a walk and explored the town and university for a few hours. Chris had never stepped forth on the university grounds so we walked along to check it out. To my amazement much of what I remembered was still there - Ivey Hall, Hudson Hall, the portable rooms where lectures were held. The fields were now Halls of Residence.

Ivey Hall
Hudson Hall
Walking back into the town we found the 'Famous Grouse', the local pub. Unfortunately the old pub was damaged beyond repair in the first quake and has now been rebuilt. The old walls could have told a few stories!! By coincidence Famous Grouse is my preferred whisky blend when I can't afford a good single malt.

The new Famous Grouse, Lincoln
Down by the Liffey Gallery is a great little gallery on the edge of town (or at least it was the edge). It is in the old Coronation Hall by the Liffey Stream - Alan and his brothers called it the Doughy - I have no recollection why.
The jury is still out re Lincoln and our future. Who knows!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for revitalising some old memories for me too, John. Maybe we can have a scotch out there sometime. Dont forget I was at Lincoln too before I went to Oz for veterinary science. And how did you con my new car out of me to go to Lincoln! I would have just purchased it and had borrowed every penny of its price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did recall you were at Lincoln - and for longer than I was too.
    You offered me the VW. I remember it was brand new. I was a proud boy!!

    ReplyDelete