Banner

Banner

Sunday, October 12, 2014

A City Awakening

Last weekend I participated in the Southern Regional Convention of the Photographic Society of NZ.
One aspect of the weekend was a field trip. There were four options - I chose the city tour with David Wethey who used to be the Chief Photographer for The Press, our local city newspaper. I figured he would be a good tutor - sound ideas, good tuition, and an eye for the city! I wasn't disappointed.
Sadly the morning passed all too quickly but it was fun for the 3.5 hours we wandered about. Much of it I'd photographed previously, but it was beneficial to see the city through the eyes of an excellent photo journalist.

It was also heartening to see the city slowly but surely coming to life again with new building projects abounding. I read in The Press a few days ago that the Central business District (which was >80% destroyed/demolished) was over 30% completed in the rebuild. I think that figure is way too optimistic!

So here are a few images of a small area of Christchurch as it was on Saturday 4th October 2014.

So many cranes!
Deconstruction 'Art'
Antarctic in The Square
Street Art
The Tram is operating again
New Regent Street - alive again
Ballerina Rebuild
Corner of Gloucester St and Cambridge Terrace
Deloittes new building
Deloittes - detail

No comments:

Post a Comment