Banner

Banner

Friday, January 16, 2015

Music In My Ears

"Grandpa, when school is over for the year, will you take me for a tramp?" asked my beautiful granddaughter.
As the blog heading says - music in my ears! I hope this awesome relationship with Arna continues like this forever. I am a lucky grandfather.
I endeavour to take her somewhere new each tramp.
"I have an idea, but it is uphill most of the way for two hours - to Bealey Spur hut".
"Mmmm...... she replied"
"But it is only a gentle uphill hike. And just think - it will be downhill all the way back".
"Ok" she replied. And so we managed to set a date in both hers and my busy pre Christmas schedules.

Vista from the top of Bealey Spur
The hike up to the Bealey Spur hut, and then making the effort to go on up to the top of the hill beyond, provides one of the most beautiful views nature can gift us. This is one of my favourite places in the mountains - have been there so many times, and I never tire of it. Sharing the experience with Arna made it complete!

Arna looking out over the Upper Waimakariri Valley
At Bealey Spur hut - oldest hut in APNP (circa 1925)
The keen photographer with her own DSLR
Evening visitor - the cheeky Kea
The bearded forest on Bealey Spur
One braid of the Upper Waimakariri River
Thank you Arna for a great few days. I love sharing the mountains with you. Long may this last!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post John. One of my favourite places too. And I'm about to become a grandad myself (this coming week). I'll definitely get in touch for the long-awaited coffee when the fuss dies down.

    ReplyDelete