Banner

Banner

Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Guiding Moment

I used to guide for Tuatara Tours - almost exclusively on the Christchurch to Akaroa walk. This stopped ~2006 as I became busier with my framing activities and overseas trips.
Out of the blue, in early March this year, I received a call from Tuatara and asked if I was available to guide a small group on the Queen Charlotte Track in the Marlborough Sounds. It didn't take long to rearrange a few meetings and agree to guide the walk.
I hadn't walked the entire track in its entirety before - I'd done various sections over the years, but not all at once.
I only had two lovely women - both very fast walkers!
The highlight, apart from guiding these two lovely people, was right at the start - Motuara Island.
This is a protected island with no predators. The birdlife is beautiful - saddlebacks, bellbirds, parakeets, robins, fantails, tomtits - all literally in the same place at one point. The chorus deafening. Plus several Little Blue penguins still in their burrows.
A memorable five days on a great iconic track with two fast women. And at the end of the walk, I managed to catch up with my lovely sister at Waikawa for a few hours before driving down to spend the night in the Company vehicle at Kaikoura for a dawn photographic shoot.

East from Motuara Island
South from Motuara Island
Southern Rata flower
Queen Charlotte Sound
Kaikoura Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment