Banner

Banner

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Sunrise, Sunset

I love heralding the new day and savouring the last of each day. Capturing these glorious moments is not quite so easy. Is there such a thing as a perfect sunrise/sunset image? Somehow I doubt it, but I continue in the forlorn hope that it might be me who finally does capture that elusive image - and in the meantime I will continue to enjoy each day's beginning and end.
In my stock of 60,000+ images I have hundreds of sunrises and sunsets but they all fall far short of perfection - whatever that is! No photographic judge/commentator is going to determine the answer to that question, no matter how good they are - or think they are!







My friend Mark from Oman, sent me a link to a British photographer a few days ago. His website made reference to a quote by Galen Rowell, an American photographer and mountaineer whom I'd looked up to for years - my long distance 'mentor'. I'd read all his books - own many of them - and followed his many expeditions with huge interest. Chris and I made plans to make the pilgrimage to his gallery in Bishop, California after my return from the Arctic in 2002. To our horror, 6 days before, Galen and his wife Barbara were killed in an aeroplane crash as they landed at Bishop after a successful photographic expedition in Alaska. We continued on our pilgrimage and I would highly recommend his gallery 'Mountain Light' in bishop.

Galen's quote is .............
"You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on this planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either."

No comments:

Post a Comment