Banner

Banner

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Spring is in the Air



As well as the annual tramp with 'the lads' (most of us in our 60s now - one, heaven forbid, as of January now 70, but the apprentice is only in his early 50s!) we also like to take the spring air for 2-3 days before Christmas each year.
This year had to be early for me as I was heading back to the Middle East early December.
No one had been up the Crow Valley (Arthur's Pass area) for years, so that got the nod of approval from the team. Due to commitments all round, it was only to be a single night out.

Crossing the Waimakariri River
Entering the Crow Valley
Crossing the Crow River is pretty straightforward when the river is low
The new Crow Hut - new to me anyway
Ranunculus lyallii (Mt Cook Lily) within metres of the hut door
Alas, the weather gods did not play ball the next morning
A brief sojourn into the hills, but great company - as always. Our batteries were recharged and the world's issues were solved over a few drams.
I had not visited the Crow Valley for ~30+ years. The last visit, if my memory serves me right, was with my elder daughter, Rachael about the time she started high school! I used to visit this area regularly - usually traversing over from Avalanche Peak, frequently as a day trip. One of the lads did gift me the door bolt of the old Crow Hut when it was demolished - it sits here on my shelf today!
All the images posted here (6 of them) were all captured on my iPhone and nothing has been done to them - apart from making them square and downsizing them. I'll soon convince myself that I don't need to lug my big DSLR and lenses with me every trip - technology is improving unabated, and my ageing body is looking for any excuse to lighten up!!


   





No comments:

Post a Comment