Banner

Banner

Thursday, May 15, 2014

A View to Warm the Heart

I love Lyttelton Harbour. I find it good for the soul. Looking down the harbour always relaxes me and lifts my heart. One of my favourite spots - a place I invite only a few special people to share with me - is Coopers Knob. The highest point of the port hills surrounding the city.


This image from Coopers Knob- titled 'Wedding Vista' - was captured at the exact time Juliet was getting married in Melbourne ~14 years ago. Given less than 48 hours notice, none of the family were present, but I did clamber up to my favourite thinking spot with a bottle of vino to celebrate her union from afar through weepy eyes. Unfortunately the union did not survive and thus this image is soured in my mind.
However, it has not diminished my love of the harbour.
10 days ago I walked around the Allandale - Governor's Bay waterfront track - the intent being to help a photographic friend to complete a project she was working on. The day was lovely, the lighting bang on for the task in hand (a geological impressionism). Behind me, looking down the harbour was this view............ helped by the low tide.


This image was taken with my zoom lens set at the wider end of its limits, and thus pushing everything seemingly away into the distance. Our eyes, however, do not see it this way - we see life at about the same as a 50mm lens (in 35mm camera terms). So......... turning the camera through 90 degrees, I captured a series of images at the 50mm setting, sweeping from left to right, and overlapping by a third - 17 images in total. Now, thanks to the newer versions of Photoshop, these can easily and quickly be merged together to create a lovely panorama.


It does look the same here, but I've had to minimise it so much to allow it to fit on here. The file size is 325MB and a print with a height of 40cms is 2.5 metres wide!! A good wallpaper perhaps??


No comments:

Post a Comment