Banner

Banner

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

What a Difference a Day Makes!

My lovely sister is currently crewing on a yacht sailing from Waikawa near Picton down to Stewart Island, then back up to D'urville Island and eventually back to Waikawa - just two of them in a 30' boat. Not bad for a young girl of 76!
Last weekend they were in Akaroa to resupply and wait for some good weather. Sunday morning was relatively free for me so I set off for Akaroa at sparrowfart.
For me, no trip to Akaroa - or anywhere on the peninsula for that matter - is complete without a quick side trip to Birdlings Flat. There are as many moods to that beach as there are days in the year - and more! Early Sunday morning I had the beach to myself. Absolute tranquility in more ways than one.
I don't recall ever seeing the sea so flat and waveless.

Birdling's Flat on Sunday
Compare this to a day a few years ago at the end of a good Southerly blast. This image was posted here back in June 2014 in a post about Kaitoreti Spit, but thought it was worth airing again for comparison.

Birdling's Flat a few years ago after a Southerly Storm
Oh and here is my lovely sister heading back out to the yacht on Sunday morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment