Banner

Banner

Monday, August 27, 2012

Good Memories - The Arrowsmith Range

This image may have been in a previous post, but who cares - it would have been a few years ago!
I am currently preparing an exhibition of my images for a cafe in the 'new' city - 14 all up.
In an endeavour to be frugal and recycle some of my unsold framed images, I have taken the matted images out of old frames in order to reuse the frame. One such image was this one of the Arrowsmith Range looking up the Cameron River.
This country brings back so many good memories. It is a good solid 5-6 hour walk from the carpark up to the CMC's Cameron hut.
One of the first trips was with my big brother and his longtime climbing friend Jim (and their wives). Us three guys attempted Mt Couloir - this was one of my first climbs with crampons - and it showed. High up in the couloir I hadn't taken a dozen steps when I tripped on my crampons. The acceleration down the couloir was fast, but Jim held me with a good belay.
The next trip up the valley was with a good climbing mate, Dennis. We were both still teenagers - just from memory. I recall I met Chris at the same time so we must have been. I have photographic proof! Dennis was a newly trained school teacher who had had a sudden rush of whatever to his brain and decided he needed a career change into the army. I vividly recall sitting atop an Arrowsmith peak pleading with him not to join up. But to no avail - join up he did and soon after he became Rachael's godfather. We then departed NZ to work overseas. Eighteen months later I received an aerogram from my mother telling me that Dennis had been killed in Singapore when an army airdrop landed on him.
The last time I was up the valley - I am ashamed to say - was in 1986. At 0400 one starry morning we all stood outside the hut and watched Halley's Comet - the best view I ever had of it.
Whilst I may never climb any of those big mountains again, the Cameron Valley is still a strong attraction. One day soon...........................maybe!
Oh and yes - my exhibition will be at The Green Room cafe in Princess St, right next to Jason Gunn's Whitebait TV. Come and enjoy a caffeine fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment