Banner

Banner

Monday, September 22, 2014

Aurora Activity

I recently downloaded a new app warning me of aurora activity. I set it to southern hemisphere, activity level 9, and waited. Unfortunately most of the alerts came during daylight hours - not much help for viewing or photographing. I had previously photographed the Aurora Borealis in the high arctic 12 years ago. An amazing phenomenon but difficult to capture in the low temperature. And back then, I did not have the advantage of digital and being able to view my results immediately. Film was the norm then and I had to wait nine months before I was able to see what I had captured.

Aurora Borealis
Last Friday night the skies were clear and alerts indicated a good chance of significant activity. Off I went into the darkness with tripod and camera bag - togged up in boots, down jacket and woolly hat. As I frequently do, I am drawn to my favourite location on the Port Hills - up near Coopers Knob, the highest point along the summit road.
Whilst the wind in the city was calm, up on the tops it was blowing a gale and bitterly cold - I shudder to think what the wind chill was. The car temperature gauge indicated 3 degrees.
The Aurora Australis was nowhere to be seen - what activity there had been, had dropped to levels of 5-6 if my app was to be believed.
Not to waste the moment completely, I'd be wanting to photograph the stars and milky way for some time - a recent image taken by Chris's old friend in the outback of Australia spurred me into action.
Keeping the tripod still in the gale force wind was a challenge, but I played for half an hour before the cold eventually won out, and I trudged back to the vehicle and drove home to thaw out.

Looking due south - spot the Southern Cross
Looking due north - city lights affecting the view

No comments:

Post a Comment