Banner

Banner

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Perigee Moon

I missed last month's perigee moon. This month the moon is not much further away. So where to photograph the full moon on Tuesday 9th September? Moon rising at 1828, twenty minutes after sunset, so still sufficient available light to capture the surroundings. TPE told me the moon would rise just north of the peninsula so I figured Godley Head would be the place to go.
I was expecting to have company out there with other photographers in action, but there I was - alone and happy, but cold in the brisk easterly wind. A WW2 bunker was soon found for shelter.

Godley Head and northern Banks Peninsula
I soon discovered I wasn't totally alone. Sheep and lambs were keen to hunker down out of the wind for the night, and I was preventing two pairs of swifts returning to their nests inside the bunker.

Full moon rising on target
After a superb cloudless day in Christchurch, the sea mist started to roll in but eventually the moon rose above it.


And so rose a perigee moon, a mere 358,621 kilometres away.

No comments:

Post a Comment