Banner

Banner

Friday, August 22, 2014

"Composition"

I have just completed my biennial stint tutoring composition at the Christchurch Photographic Society - PowerPoint presentation, field trip and follow up critique session.
Today I was catching up with some reading at lunchtime - including a recent f11 e'magazine that I subscribe to. In there was an interview with Andris Apse, arguably one of the world's foremost landscape photographers - and certainly New Zealand's outstanding landscape photographer. He is a photographer I've followed for years, read most of his books, and loved his images - knowing the effort he has made to produce each image.

Andris Apse image
Andris Apse image
In the f11 interview, there were two questions that caught my eye, and I thought I would would share them - and Andris's responses...

1.
f11. What would your advice be to aspiring photographers?
AA. The harshest critic of your work should be yourself. We all produce images that in the heat of the moment we think are fantastic. To maintain a high standard, re-appraise your images - time and time again. Do not release them until you are sure. Do not keep or show anything other than your absolute best work. Every now and then I come across some of my images that should have been buried in a deep hole rather than shared. These are guiding principles:

  • work at developing your own style
  • don't get hung up on the rules of composition
  • seek simplicity and pre-visualisation
  • think before you take that photograph
  • isolate that mood and simplify your composition

2.
f11. Any favourite quotes that serve you well?
AA. Three spring immediately to mind:

'Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera'
 - Yousuf Karsh

'Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk'
 - Edward Weston

'Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away'
 - Antoine de saint Exupery

A great set of responses. Composition is important - very important, but rules are made to be broken at times. Andris's advice is so relevant - and mirrors much of what I preach in teaching composition.

And I do love good quotes - I have a collection of them. I particularly like the third.

Thank you Andris Apse - I am a follower of yours. One day, maybe we will meet.

1 comment:

  1. I have Andris's "Light & Landscape" (the big expensive version) on my coffee table most of the time. Very inspiring. I really liked the last image in your latest pier series - Andris would be happy with that one

    ReplyDelete