Banner

Banner

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Perception

....... or what's in a name!!
Heaps. I've had to put up with the flak all of my life - but that is another story that won't reach this blog. It's shite!!
Two weeks ago, as is the norm, I pick up my granddaughter, Arna, from school on a Friday afternoon and we 'hang out' together for a few hours - this invariably involves a cafe, a mall, a walk, or even photography - although not all each Friday! I enjoy her company. At 5pm I usually return her to Rachael's work at Southern Cross.
On this particular Friday, we were in the control room at Rach's work, and she (Rach) was whinging about being middle aged.
"You're hardly middle aged Rach - I'm still middle aged", I snorted.
Quick as a flash, Arna pipes up with "You're not middle aged Grandpa, you're ELDERLY!!"
The control room gasped, followed by silence. Arna received the steely slit-eyed glare from Grandpa!! Gained brownie points were haemorrhaging.

And so I came home with my bottom lip out and complained to Chris, only to be told Arna was correct. "Bollocks" I replied, and so ensued a robust debate regarding age!
"You are elderly" she said.
"I might be old, but not elderly" I exploded..........
"No, you're elderly now and old later" she laughed.
In a huff, I staggered off to the Macbook, whisky in hand (besides, this was serious),  to google the definition of 'elderly'.
To my horror, the official World Health Organisation definition of elderly is thus:
"...... most developed world countries have accepted the chronological age of 65 years as definition of 'elderly' or older person".
So, bugger it, I'm two years into 'elderly'!
So, what is 'Middle Age"?
Collins dictionary defines it as "...considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60".
The Oxford English dictionary is a little kinder defining it as "...between ~45 and 60".
Which of course begs the question as to what you are considered to be between the ages of 60 and 65!! Think about that now.
Old Age is defined in Wikipedia as "...the later part of life; the period of life after youth and middle age......usually with reference to deterioration".


In the 4th century BC, Plato divided the human lifespan into six phases, the last two constituting 'Old Age' (the ages of 62 - 79) and 'Advanced Age' (80+). The last phase, he noted, "is one that, fortunately, few people attain". Fortunately!!

So there you go. By definition I am beyond youth and middle age - I am elderly.
But I don't feel it - I'm far too busy to be elderly. Besides I have two elderly grandchildren to keep me youthful.
I phoned my big brother, Barry and his wife, Cathy to congratulate them on their 50th wedding anniversary (note: not Golden - that sounds too old!). At 77, he'd already been out for a run before coming home to cook breakfast.
It's all about perception after all. I'm off for a coffee and get on with my busy day.
You started something Rach and Arna!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well, John, you've cheered me up - I think. At 62 I've already been claiming the status of Elder (that sounds better doesn't it) and starting to use it as an excuse for all sorts of indulgence and antisocial behaviour. I'm hanging out for that next milestone and the opportunity to give up all that silly "vocation" business so I can get on with the important stuff (music and photography) on a full time basis. And remember, getting old sure beats the alternative. And yes, coffee sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John for cheering me up. And to think that being 10-15 years older that you and your friends is said to make me more than elderly. What a lot of nonsense - I still don't consider myself elderly and will let you know when I do. I believe it is all about how old you feel. Having just taken one of my ex running friends up Pirongia - I nearly lost him because his Alzheimers had him wandering off in the bush - I can attest that even he was feeling youthful. Having said all that I can say that I've noticed a slowing in the rate of repair of my latest calf muscle strains. Maybe the beginning of being elderly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha two comments!!
    Firstly Dave - "Elder" has a good ring to it. Blimey, are you still working? Might be time to catch up for a coffee eh!
    Secondly, big brother. I agree with you entirely - I too don't consider myself elderly, and like you, probably never will. It's all about perception. I've just had a great blow out on the hills this morning and now feel good.
    Thanks both of you.
    As George Burns once said "You're only as old as the woman you feel" - and I think he died at 102!!
    I fancy growing old disgracefully!!

    ReplyDelete